Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Morphing Colors in Soap

Hi Everyone and Anyone!!

I just made two new soap loafs yesterday and have decided to go for a new kind of idea of using a theme that inspires me.  I had this idea for a few months now and just kind of put it on the back burner.  I have been thoroughly trying to match my idea to the fragrances I now have.  When I found out about Shirley Temple passing away, I felt this was my wake up call to go ahead and proceed as I had planned.   

First and foremost I just want to say a comment here.  I was born in 1961 that makes me 52 years old currently (in May I will earn another year).  But I grew up with seeing all the great stars such as:
Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, Shirley Temple, Vivien Leigh, Jane Russell, Ava Gardner, Ann Miller, Debbie Reynolds, Jane Powell, Maureen O'Hara, Kim Novak, Esther Williams, Doris Day, June Allyson, Janet Leigh, Deborah Kerr, Jean Simmons, Rita Hayworth, Grace Kelly, Hayley Mills, Audrey HepburnSusan Hayward, Lucille Ball, Barbra Streisand, Patty Duke, Sally Field, and so on.   Please note there are many more to list, but you get the idea here.

In my opinion I will always say from the bottom of my heart one woman and one alone, I feel earns her place here and not as a Hollywood Star, but as a genuine kind heart'ed and loving person/spirit/soul is Princess Diana.  She will get the soap that best represents her unlike the two I will explain as we go along....

These ladies mentioned above were**S T A R S** when acting was really acting, and having a real talent.  If you have never watched some of the older movies, I encourage you to do so.  Many of these ladies paved the way for all the other stars to follow.  So I do appreciate growing up in the era I have.

So blast forward to today, I feel I can translate my soaping ideas as a way to honor these women.  By how I feel they have contributed to society.  And I am making  soaps to honor them (not all of them in general), but a good amount.  As I said I made two loafs yesterday and I had my ingredients all thought out, fragrance oils, etc....

I made Elizabeth Taylor she was supposed to be violet and white for the most part.   Once I saw that my colors changed I threw my best laid plans out the window and just went with it, instead of just rearranging my color pallet, I knew better.
I did see that my fragrance oil was a tinge lighter yellow in color.  Did I know better of course I did!  But these soap colors went through two transformations before it settled on this outcome.  So this was not the outcome I expected:


Here is the soap loaf, it has soap balls, and candy/confectioner sugar sprinkles on top. Nothing too impressive (in my own opinion).  It is what it is at this point.

 



Below: 
Elizabeth is on the left.  I did not clean up the bars as of yet prior to posting photos.  I did put some extra soap balls that I wanted to use up so they went into the soap loaf.  The fragrance oil I used is called Lemon Sugar Candied Violets.  It's a very pretty lemony sweet violet type of scent.  Hard to explain.  But none the less I chose this one for Elizabeth.  Also I should mention that this fragrance is no longer sold on the fragrance oil market.  This is one of those that if you everwanted to try it, you must buy this to see for yourself how wonderful this one is.  I only make this a few times here and there, since I am stretching my fragrance out as best as I can.

I am not at all impressed with this bar of soap.  I don't think I could duplicate this one anytime soon.  It's one of those OOPS type of moments.  On the other side I am not upset this happened.  I think a lot of fun things happen when you least expect it.  I certainly did not expect this one to happen in this fashion.  A very Unique bar I would say.  Will it sell?  God who knows. 

Elizabeth Taylor she was a very unique person.  So I would say this bar is exactly the way it should be.   And this is the only time I will ever make this one, I will let it stand as a testament as to even when things go wrong it is made right.  Would Elizabeth like it? Probably not but sometimes unique things happen when you least expect it.  




Just another few photo's to view:





Here is the soap loaf in the mold below.  This one is named Marilyn Monroe.  I used a scent called Dazzling Diamonds.  It's a very soft feminine scent.  Not harsh, just soft.  This scent is no longer available on the fragrance oil market.  The fragrance oil does have a very dark yellow color to it.  Beating my head on the table as I knew better.


So I wanted to use this one since Marilyn did say "Diamonds are a girls best friend". Which by the way she was not the first to say this. Carol Channing was the first, but who is keeping track?

This color pallet morphed on me as well.  Yes you would think I could have changed my mind once I went through this with Elizabeth.  But I say this was how my soaping day went and I went with it.  There is no control over things like this and I am going to be cautious in the future since I do want to represent just the correct colors to convey how my soap should match more in the personalities of the said starlet.  I was more interested in the fragrance and using the scent to match the person.  Yes colors were factored in as well.  But morphing just gets in my crawl and nothing can be done.  Neither of the soaps convey what I want them to for the starlets I chose.   Still beating my head on the desk.


Photo of cut bars, and color pallet.  I did not ask for a orange color at all.  But I got one.  

 More Views... 

 Scratching my head??? !!



I will post more photos of my favorite stars.  Maybe I can have a better outcome.  Yes I was in the mood to soap this day, I was having a good day, I never make soap if I feel a little off inside.  Just doesn't work for me when I do this.  So as you can see this was a crazy experience and one I won't forget anytime soon.  The scents are absolutely great.  Funny thing is I did use both of the listed fragrances before and never had this outcome like this.  I didn't do anything different, just maybe the new colorants I used changed their minds mid stream.  Or maybe the starlets were with me to add their own sense of humor to the soap?
A bit scary and I say this gleefully don't drop by when I am soaping!!

Bowing my head in shame, as I leave you with my unexpected creations.  I hope you find humor in this as I don't particularly do.  Crawling under a rock now so I can rethink my next move.  Hope your day was a good one.  Maybe mine will be tomorrow as well :)

Happy trails to you until we meet again (Dale Evans).
Debby




 

No comments:

Post a Comment